Oregonians love their hunting season. You don’t have to drive far from Portland, Bend, Medford or any other of the state’s great cities to enjoy a wide range of hunts. As hunters prepare their gear, whether it’s to go bow hunting for elk or pheasant hunting, remember to follow the law and purchase your hunting tags.
Controlled hunting tags limit the number of hunters for particular hunts and areas to improve game management and enhance the hunting experience. Controlled hunting tags are purchased through a state’s game and wildlife department. The deadline to purchase any controlled hunt tag is the day before the earliest hunt opens.
Below is a summary of general season tag deadlines in Oregon:
* Controlled fall turkey (northeast Oregon and White River) – Sept. 15
* Western Oregon Deer Centerfire – Oct. 3
* Black Bear (General and SW Additional) – Oct. 3
* Cougar (General and Additional) – Oct. 3
* Cascade Elk – Oct. 17
* Rocky Mt Elk Centerfire, 1st season – Oct. 28
* Rocky Mt Elk Centerfire, 2nd season – Oct. 28
* Coast Elk Centerfire, 1st season – Nov. 14
* Coast Elk Centerfire, 2nd season – Nov. 2