Packing for an outdoor adventure involves more than just a warm jacket and thick boots. Every good outdoor enthusiast knows to pack an emergency survival pack. Here are five essential items for every survival pack, no matter where you’re headed.
1. A Pocket Knife. Small folding knives and sporting knives are extremely useful if you find yourself lost in the woods. They are can either go in your pack or you can clip them to your belt.
2. An LED Flashlight. LEDs produce the brightest beam of any type of flashlight, and if you’re in a nighttime emergency situation that could make a huge difference. A quality LED flashlight also has an incredibly long battery life, so you won’t be stuck in the dark any time soon.
3. A Multi Tool. Many multi tools have serrated blades, scissors, screwdrivers and other features. A good multi tool can help you prepare a fire, repair gear, treat a wound or open a can of food. Including a mini multi-tool in your survival pack will have you prepared for anything.
4. Matches/Fire-starters. Nothing is harder than trying to start a fire without any assistance. Including waterproof matches, a lighter, or a fire starter in your pack is a must.
5. First-Aid Supplies. If space is at a premium, focus on the basics – bandages, disinfectant, insect repellant, and aspirin. Iodine pills are a good idea as well to purify water.
There are many other items that would be useful in an emergency situation, but these are a good place to start. Regardless of how small your emergency pack needs to be, make sure you cover the basics – light (LED flashlight), warmth (fire starter), food (sporting knives and multi tools), and safety (first aid supplies).